Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Ten Characters I Love But Others Seem To Dislike


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where, each week, a Top Ten list is posted based on a particular topic.

Hi there Misfit booknerds! It's another week for a Top Ten Tuesday post! I honestly dunno how fast the days go by. I kinda felt I just did the feature yesterday and now I'm making one again. So, for this week, the topic is ten characters you adore but others just don't seem to like. I've gone through situations like these before where I find myself loving a character so much but people are like, "But why?" I don't even know. But we'll dissect each of them here. Let's get started.

1. Levana from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer



She's one insane, insane, lady who needs some psychiatric help but there's always been a fascination that I've always had with Levana reading Cinder for the first time, which pretty much got some answers in Fairest. Levana is a sick being and might need some intense loving to bring her down to her knees but the regalness that she exudes is fascinating and actually quite intoxicating and I can't get enough of her.

2. Charlotte Holmes from A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro


I find that not many blog's I've read reviews of A Study In Charlotte liked Charlotte as much as I did. I mean, she is kinda frustrating for the fact that she's too much of a mirror of Sherlock's character. But what I love about her is she just kicks ass and puts a bit of feminine with some masculine flair into her. I wish her character in the next books get better and that she becomes more of herself than a facade of her ancestor. But yeah, I really, really like her.

3. Greg Gaines from Me and Earl and The Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


If you've not read my review of this book, then there's more explanation as to why I feel like Greg is just a really misunderstood character and that even though he might be a dick, he's really just a human being. And we're all pretty much dicks too anyway.

4. Amarantha from A Court of Thorns of Roses by Sarah J. Maas


See a trend here? I like jerks. HAHAHA! I dunno. I love how savvy Amarantha is and how brutal everything goes in her midst. She's entertaining and added a lot of flair to the book coz really, I think the book would've fallen flat for me if she didn't come along with her brand of violence. I need help.

5. Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Katniss is a handful, I agree but I can't seem to hate her. I think because everyone changes after going through so many trials and near-death experiences. You can't be the same tenacious person you wish you were. There'll always be that fragile wall that can break between you and all your fears. That's why I somehow connected with Katniss.

6. Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye by J.R. Salinger


I've only met few people who liked Catcher and most are so annoyed by Holden's voice. Reason why I love it? Holden's voice. I dunno. He's crassness and look at the world is somehow all of us...or at least me. I think we just can't deal with it because it's there in our subconscious that there's always so many frustrating things. And I think that Holden's choices in this book is like an emancipation of all the things that teenagers of any generation has done. And I think the reason why he's quite popular in the literary culture is not because his character is something we should all aspire to be but the rather the opposite but he sets out a lesson for all of us.

7. Lola Nolan from Lola and The Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


I just love out of it characters sometimes. Quirky, fun, creative and cute. I know Lola is not everyone's favorite from the three books (I actually don't like Isla lol) but she is just that breath of fresh air in all of Stephanie's three books and I get a little upset when people just say they don't like her because she's "too weird". Yeah, see yourself out the door, please?

8. Simon from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare


Okay. Simon and Izzy, Alec and Magnus, are the only reason I can even stand reading the first four books of this series. I know Simon can get in some people's nerves, especially during the second book, like all overprotective of Clary. But I actually find Simon endearing for the sense that he's getting into this whole fantasy, paranormal thing and he's not sure how he can deal with it. I think that's the reason he's whiny and not people's type. But I actually liked him and actually wished that he had more participation in the books.

9. Charlie from The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


I think we're seeing a trend here, huh? Misunderstood characters. I think that I've always read books with a psychological understanding in the back of my mind and be like, "huh", especially with characters in contemporary novels (seeing as most of these books are in the contemporary field). There's like a thin line connected between me and not liking a flawed, misunderstood character. It's when they don't seem too real. Not like in the Holden Caulfield sort of way. But you know when they just seem too demanding or overplayed or more.

Let me talk about Charlie. The guy has been through too much. And the fact that he had friends and finds his place with people who are as misunderstood as him is beautiful. I think the reason why Charlie isn't everyone's favorite is because there's a sensitivity to what he's been through and I know it's super hard to kind of get his actions, fighting against all that. I just love Charlie because I connect to him in some way. That I kinda want, even a small number of people to get where I am at. I'm sorry this feels like a rant. LOL

10. Ron Weasley from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling


I've read some Top Ten post and seen that Ron is in quite a lot of list that people don't necessarily like. He's kind of a jerk sometimes isn't he? And wimpy and immature too. But I guess that's what I love about Ron. He's a great foil for Harry's character is some ways. He would be against decisions, he'd be unsure of himself and he needs some help. He's a bearable character but not someone I'd dislike.

Thank you for reading. I know that I defended my babies quite a lot here but yeah. I just adore them. Do leave a comment below if you want to react to my choices or if you agree! Let's go and discuss it. Till next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...