Friday, February 6, 2015

A Shift On Book Blogging

Inspired by both Jamie of The Perpetual Page-Turner and Hazel of Stay Bookish's posts, I decided that I wanted to talk about how I feel about book blogging and the community itself.


My blog was nothing like what it is now a year ago... Yes, it has actually been a year since this blog was conceptualized, with a different name whatsoever and it was more of a personal blog, talking about my feelings blah blah blah. And out of the blue (late April), I decided to take book blogging seriously, shift to that and make my blog a full fledged book blog.

Trying out book blogging was not as easy, especially since I entered the whole blogging community with very little knowledge and how-to. I then started referring to other bloggers and they have been simply helpful and wonderful, giving me tips and resources. At first, it was all fun and games and then that's when I started becoming frustrated and insecure. Since knowing these amazing bloggers, it felt like it wasn't my place to even talk to them if my blog wasn't even worth anybody's time. So I did a lot of self promotion and even involved everyone to a giveaway, just so that I could say I have followers and that my view count was rising. Also learning about ARCs and whatnot excited me, and I researched all I can just so I can be part of the fun.Yes, as much as I would hate to admit it, when things started to change in the book blogging community, I was part of it.


But then, I started to think how much I was pushing myself to get a post out just to keep my blog alive at some point, or even thinking about what giveaway I should do next, and I think I got tired of it and somehow drifted away from having fun. At first, it was real exciting, now the whole blogging thing felt like work instead of sharing my love for a particular book. If you read my current feature about my reading pace, it will also give you an idea of how things have changed for me when it comes to reading and also blogging.

Lately, I've been enjoying posting features such as this, that either talks about my love for books or just try to entertain current followers and any future readers. And it even takes me forever to come back and blog, but at some point, I know I like what I post. As for the books that I read, I don't try to scurry for words in order to get the word out as fast or faster than the others. If I'm part of the general public that liked that book, then I don't mind if I'm last, as long as I get to actually enjoy it and love it. As I said to Jamie, my books need time and that I also need it. It also allows my reviews to become more personal and relatable to readers.


This whole experience has been a journey of self-awareness as well as the influence of those who have opened my eyes in  the goodness of book blogging. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep this up, but I am surely enjoying how I am handling my blog now. As for the other book bloggers out there, especially those starting out, may this help you or at least make you think of what your getting yourself into.

If you want, you can leave comments below of what you think blogging is. Are you interested? What do you think makes a book blog good? As for my fellow bloggers, what inspires you to pursue a certain topic to talk about? And what fuels you to continue blogging? It would be lovely to hear from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...