Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: Wag Lang Di Makaraos by Eros S. Atalia (2011)





I've been doing a lot of reviews and as you've noticed, their more on movies, especially since I've been into some indie ones. Anyway, if you are not aware of it, I am a self-acclaimed and proud book nerd! I have been since I was 6! LOL! Seriously though, I have had an affinity with books since I can remember. I even read most of the books at our high school library. If you don't believe me, you can ask my friends and the high school librarian too...

What I'm trying to say is that I love books and I want to share my thoughts with you about the books I read. And this is not just to brag that I have this book and that, but more on trying to give a sense of what the book is trying to convey (in my point of view, of course). Don't worry. I don't plan on bashing the books, rather be subjective with it and give my most honest opinions... Shall I get started?

With my first INKBLOTS visit (I'll talk about that later), came the sale of Sir Eros S. Atalia's books. If you don't know who Sir Eros is, well, I feel incredibly sorry for you... Sorry... Not sorry... Anyway, he is a known author and a Don Carlos Palanca Awardee for Literature. He also writes for Pilipino Mirror which is a tabloid.


I've got fangirl issues with authors... TEEHEE! Sir EROS! YOU ROCK!!!


Getting back to the books, I bought four of them and one is Wag Lang Di Makaraos (2011), which I read during my 1 week hospital stay. No internet, No TV meant I had all the time in the world to read.




Wag Lang Di Makaraos features 100 flash fiction stories, all written by Sir Eros, subdivided into different
themes. The themes include death, stories for children (which aren't really for children), paranormal creatures and more. The stories are short and sweet, a story usually half a page long or could extend up to 2 pages. The stories are funny, which is Sir Eros' specialty and satirical in a sense too. It covers real life situations and even the people of the society from how they act around others to their different beliefs. 

With the shortness of the stories, you'd think their easy to read understand, but each line would leave you wondering what it means or what each story actually means, so it really had my mind going for a long, long time. Even my cousin who had some time to read my copy after finishing it, had her head-scratching because she can't seem to grasp the ideas of the stories.

As I said, they are short and sweet but they could be grim too. Some of the stories also focus on paranormal creatures like the aswang, nuno (dwarf), White Lady and many more and turning them into ordinary thinking persons, who have a life and go through situations like most of us do. I don't want to spoil anything for you guys by giving samples. But yeah, these types of stories are what you're gonna be expecting once you read into it.

Go and grab your copies at the nearest National Bookstore around you. Wag Lang Di Makaraos by Eros S. Atalia sells for 200 PHP. Very affordable. I seriously suggest that you read into it and all of Sir Eros' books. They are hilarious and very much relatable to any citizen of the Philippines. LOL! Go ahead and read on.

You can follow National Bookstore's Twitter page for updates on Sir Eros' new books and others that may come out on the market: @nbsalert

Oh yeah, I'll be reading and posting more reviews on Sir Eros' books soon as well as other books that I've purchased! Hope you guys enjoyed this review. You can check out other reviews if you want! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...